Ordnance Survey are currently looking for a Software Engineer – Java to join our team. We embrace a hybrid working model at OS and understand there is no one size fits all in relation to how we work. We have a fantastic HQ in Southampton, Hampshire where you will be required to spend 2 days a Month with the remaining time being a personal choice as to whether you work from home, one of our regional offices or spend more time at OSHQ. Ordnance Survey is also able to consider offering fully remote contracts in the appropriate circumstances. You will join us on a full-time, permanent basis and in return, you will receive a competitive salary of up to £42,840 per annum.
Ordnance Survey (OS) provides national mapping services for Great Britain and is a world-leading provider of geospatial solutions. OS location data and expertise has helped governments make smarter decisions, businesses gain valuable data insight, and everyone experience the world outside for over 225 years.
We offer fantastic benefits in return for joining us as our Software Engineer – Java:
- Competitive salary plus performance-related bonus
- Competitive pension scheme
- Flexible working options
- 25 days annual leave – (30 days after five years) bank holidays and an extra 3 over Christmas
- Plus, a suite of excellent additional benefits
We are looking for a commercially experienced Software Engineer – Java to join an established project team with a strong track record of delivering customer requirements at pace and to a high standard. With a strong background in delivering solutions, your knowledge will encompass a wide variety of technologies such as Java (SpringBoot, Hibernate, Jackson etc), Postgresql, cloud services (Azure/AWS) and SQL. Experience around Deployment, Micro-Services, Debugging, Testing, Scaling and Monitoring scalable applications is expected.
The role will include daily contact with stakeholders and team members. Code should be written using best practices to ensure it is clean and testable. You will be required to be fully conversant with Agile delivery methodologies and be able to prove a track record of delivering within such an environment.
Your responsibilities as our Software Engineer – Java will include:
- Carrying out code inspections and peer reviews to provide assurance of code quality against business requirements
- Maintaining and improving the level and currency of personal and technical skills to be able to continue to provide appropriate support to the business
- Providing fully capable software development and configuration in your area of expertise
- Understanding and advocating best practice and patterns and help to optimise delivery
- Ensuring software is secure and well-tested
- Supporting and operating the services you build and identify issues in production
What we’re looking for in our Software Engineer – Java:
- The ability to provide fully capable software development and configuration in your area of expertise
- Experience in designing and implementing RESTful APIs
- The ability to understand and advocate best practice and patterns and help to optimise delivery
- The ability to ensure software is secure and well-tested
- The ability to support and operate the services you build and identify issues in production
- Proven skills in software configuration and engineering
- Knowledge of modern engineering best practice like TDD, BDD and Automated Testing
- Proven track record in iterative and incremental development
- Very good track record in problem resolution & selection of technical solutions & applications
- Knowledge of ESRI technology and Kubernetes is desirable
Closing date: Sunday 9th October 2022
If you would like to be a part of this, click ‘apply’ now to be considered as our Software Engineer – Java – we’d love to hear from you!